APA® Resource Materials
The list of resources for the APA® certification exam effective January 1, 2016 is provided below. While these materials help candidates prepare for the APA® certification exam, it is critical that candidates view these materials as helpful resources rather than the sole authority for a particular profession or examination.
Commercially Published Resources
- Fundamentals of Petroleum, Edited by Debby Denehy, University of Texas, Austin, TX, 5th Ed., 2011
- Oil and Gas Law in a Nutshell, John S. Lowe, West Group, 6th Ed., 2014
- Petroleum Accounting Principles, Procedures, and Issues, Brady, etal, PDI, 7th Ed., 2011*
- Petroleum Refining in Nontechnical Language, William Leffler, Pennwell, 4th Ed., 2008
*Currently being updated by publisher and will be shipped once new edition is released
COPAS Published Resources
- AG-6 Oil Accounting Manual
- AG-9 Guidelines for Contractor Audits in the Petroleum Industry
- AG-10 Guidelines for Investigations of Suspected Irregularities
- AG-11 Guidelines for an Internal Review of an Oil and Gas Production and Exploration Division
- AG-12 Guidelines in Determining Finding/Acquisition Costs
- AG-13 Accounting for Farmouts/Farmins, Net Profits Interest and Carried Interests
- AG-15 Gas Accounting Manual
- AG-16 Guidelines for Conducting an Internal Audit of a Gas Plant
- AG-18 Variance Analysis in the Oil & Gas Industry
- AG-19 Expenditure Audits in the Petroleum Industry: Protocol & Procedure
- AG-21 Guidelines for Revenue Audits in the Petroleum Industry: Protocol & Procedure
- MFI-17 1984 Accounting Procedure – Joint Operations
- MFI-21 Overhead – Joint Operations
- MFI-38 Material Pricing Manual
- MFI-51 2005 Accounting Procedure – Joint Operations
- TR-9 Petroleum Industry Accounting: Educational Training Guide
- TR-34 Managerial Accounting and Economics Review Guide
The APA® Resource Materials bundle includes:
- The four Commercially Published Resources listed above
- A subscription to COPAS ePublications, which includes all of COPAS’ Accounting Guidelines and Model Form Interpretations (including the AGs and MFIs listed above)
- The APA® Certification Candidate Handbook
Once the bundle has been purchased, the Commercially Published Resources will be shipped to you via the delivery method you select during purchase. In addition, you will receive an email with the APA® Certification Candidate Handbook and a link to download* the COPAS ePublications to your computer.
*The ePublications download will auto-install and provides the most effective and accurate method for searching COPAS documents. The search criteria allows you to enter any word or key phrase and displays every occurrence of this entry in every COPAS Accounting Guideline and Model Form Interpretation. Each PDF document highlights your key word or phrase as you search through the document as well as where and how it is used in each document. In addition, each year you will receive an updated download containing all revised and new COPAS documents for a reduced price of $150. If you would rather not receive our updates, just ask to be removed from subscription list before December 1 each year.
For questions or technical assistance, please contact the COPAS Office at 303-300-1131 or email@example.com.