COPAS Energy Education
Oil and Gas Industry Primer
June 25 & 26, 2018 | 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
370 17th Street
Register at the bottom of this page.
Program Level: Basic Delivery Group: Live
CPE Credits: 16 Prerequisites: None
Advance Prep: None Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge
Instructor: Phil Fischer
Cost: $650 $520 Early Bird Rate through May 12
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Description: This course was developed for individuals with an interest in the oil and gas industry and intended to help accountants, lawyers, and others to better understand the petroleum business. This Oil and Gas primer provides an overview of petroleum history, geology, and upstream operations and their associated terminology. It aims at introducing fundamental concepts and data that help understand Oil & Gas Exploration and Production (E&P) holistically and provide a common conceptual framework for individuals new to the industry or wanting to expand or build on their current petroleum knowledge.
This course covers the following topics:
- History of Oil & Gas (Introduction Petroleum)
- Early Drilling
- OPEC & International
- Modern Hydrocarbon Extraction Industry Organization
- Types of Upstream Oil & Gas Companies
- Upstream, Midstream and Downstream Companies and Product Users
- Earth Geology (Petroleum Geology)
- Rock Properties
- Rocks and Hydrocarbons
- Petroleum Formation
- Rocks & Hydrocarbons
- Reservoir Traps
- Oil & Gas Fields
- Securing the Minerals (Landman)
- What is Landman
- Minerals & Ownership
- History of Landman & Leasing
- Land Departments
- Landman Responsibilities
- Division Orders
- Lease Analysts
- Your Relationship
- Joint Ventures
- Reasons for Joint Ventures
- Joint Interest Billing
- Preparing to Drill (Review Day 1 also)
- Build Roads and Infrastructure
- Drilling Mouse & Rat Holes
- Rig and Equipment Mobilization
- Drilling the Well
- Drilling Rig Components
- Drilling Personnel
- Turning to the Right (Drilling the Hole)
- Downhole Drilling Situations
- Lost Circulation
- Casing, Cementing and Logging Well
- Casing the Well
- Cementing Casing
- Logging the Well
- Completing the Well
- Perforating the Well
- Well Completion
- Christmas Tree Installation
- Shale Well Drilling and Completion (Fracking)
- Directional Drilling
- Fracturing and Completion
- Flowback and Tubing Installation
- Producing and Sales
- Surface Equipment
- Artificial Lift
- Saltwater Disposal
- Transportation & Sales
- Summary & Review
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Summarize the history of oil and gas exploration.
- Describe the function and process of Petroleum companies.
- Recall different types of Petroleum products and product users.
- Identify geological formations and their relationship to oil and gas.
- Explain how Landmen broker leases and land purchases.
- Summarize and breakdown the drilling process and operations.
- Recall how wells are completed.
- Identify various production activities.
- Explain the transportation and sales processes.
Click here to read the COPAS Complaint Policy
Click here to read the COPAS Refund Policy
Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS), Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
Registration Type: Oil and Gas Industry Primer